My love for the Farmers Market is almost as great as the love I have for Slanted Door. I know it has seen a lot of hype, but I think there is something to be said about Charles Phan's ability to create innovative dishes without compromising authentic Vietnamese characteristics. While it is often impossible to get a reservation, Out the Door, the to-go version of the restaurant, is always a trusty standby.
I recommend getting any of the rice dishes, since the broken rice is nothing short of addicting. The grapefruit and jicama salad is a nice accompaniment, so look for it when the season is right.
Lemongrass pork and vegetable:
Grilled 5-spice chicken sandwich:
I also recommend the following places/items in the Ferry Building:
- Lulu Petite- their homemade potato chips are amazing
- Ciao Bella Gelato - I'm not a fan of their gelato, but their blood orange sorbet is to die for
- Acme Bread - green onion bread or epi loaf (same bread they serve at Salt House)
- Delica-rf - Japanese deli that specializes in bento boxes; try the mabo tofu salad
- Blue Bottle Coffee - best coffee in the city (permanent residence in Hayes Valley, but they have a Farmers Market booth on Saturdays)
Soon, you won't be able to start your weekend without a trip to the Ferry Building either.